Saturday, December 8, 2012

TWINS

So, apparently, I have a thing for having twins in my story. 

Firstly, there's Alice and William, who are a couple of too-smart-for-their-own-good-bending-the-rules-because-its-convenient (darn, I can't think of a noun for them...) To be completely honest, they're more of a troublemaking bunch in my head.  When I write them out, they don't come across that way.  However, they have little regard for the rules.  Okay, Alice is correcting me: they have regard for the rules, they just don't pay attention to said regard. I've been told I've got the brother/sister dynamic down pretty well.  However, sometimes, they don't come across as twins all that obviously.  It's something that I'm working on.  I've done loads of research on how twins should behave... but what I'm actually missing is a real set of twins to pull from.  I've known about... three sets of twins in my life.  *shrug* Things to improve upon.

The second set of twins isn't actually a set of twins anymore.  Leah and Alan were supposed to be twins.  However, rar pointed out to me the unlikelihood that Kat would meet not one, but TWO sets of twins in her grade at her new school.  So, I changed it so that Alan was younger by about 18 months, but is ahead in school so as to be in the same grade as Leah.  It works.  It's kinda cute too.

The third set (which may change still, seeing as it's not terribly plot-important) is Kenric and Jeanette.  (Who's name I just changed from Mae, because Mae also happens to be Alice's middle name and... it functions better as a middle name.  And Jeanette sounds cooler.)  Regardless, I'm not even sure why these two were supposed to be twins.  I know why I originally had Alan and Leah as twins, because it made the most sense for them to be twins if they were both going to be in Kat's grade, but Alan can just be smart, that's cool.  I have no idea why I wanted Kenric and Jeanette to be twins.  No idea.  So, idk if I'll change it or not.  I went and reworded it in the current draft to just say "sister" so I have options when I get there.  It's cool.

I guess I just have a thing for twins.  When I was in high school and wrote a book with one of my friends, she and I wrote in a set of twins (much for the same reason as to why Leah and Alan were twins, to account for brothers being in the same grade).  We pretty much had the brothers aspect of them down because we drew our inspiration from people who lived in real life.  I don't think the two boys behaved like twins though. However, I believe that many twins want to be identified outside of their "set", so maybe we did a good job after all.

In middle school, when I was writing drafts of stories (that never made it to the computer), I usually always had just one set of twins.  Once, my main character was a twin... but her sister was a minor character.  Then, I tried to write a story told from the point of view of a set of twins, but it didn't work very well because I can't get my brain to think like that...

I don't know why I like twins so much.  I just do.  *shrug*

With Alice and William though, I feel that it works just so well.  Because it adds a connection between the two of them that allows for so much magikal playing with that I can always have stuff to draw from.

So, yeah.

1 comment:

  1. what's weird, is I have a thing for twins, too (hence why I caught on to yours). Ema and Sophi were originally twins... for some reason. I changed that, though. Hope and Fear are twins. In a lot of the stories I will never write, I had a set of twins. Midnight's a twin, but her sister was a minor character-- this is getting really weird.

    ReplyDelete