Thursday, November 29, 2012

Nano Challenge Day 27-29

Wow, November has flown.  Tomorrow marks the end of NaNo.  My goal is to be at 80K by then.  I'm a few hundred words shy of 75K at the moment, so I am pretty positive it's doable.

So, the biggest things that have gone on are the fact that I decided (for now at least) to keep the  virtual reality sequences.  They're kind of a grey area, because usually, people don't associate magik with technology.  In my universe, magik runs the technology, but I'm always afraid people will think it weird.  (Though, in all honesty, I shouldn't be worried in the slightest.)

I'd taken out all the other virtual reality sequences prior to this one.  One or two of them were replaced with scenes that served the same function, they just weren't in virtual reality.  All other mentions were simply taken out.  A few chapters ago, I let Alice and William mention that the school had an arcade, just in passing.  It wasn't weird or anything, it just happened.  

It ended up working out, because I have a particular scene that involves LOADS of character development... that can really only happen in virtual reality.  There is no way I could write it WITHOUT that aspect, so I left it in, merely adjusting for the fact that this would be the first time the characters go virtual in the book.  To take out the virtual reality would mean to lose the character development.

Which, overall, I could maybe achieve a different way... but why take it out when the only reason I was taking out the virtual reality stuff before was because it was either A) filler or B) I didn't want to start the BOOK with it.

So... yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment